In 2006, in a small cramped L.A. apartment, we started koi with a simple mission. Make scrubs people love to wear.
Back then, “scrubs” and “fashion” were not words you’d typically hear in the same sentence. More often than not, scrubs were blue or a hideous shade of green and made with fabric that felt like you were wearing a tablecloth.
We didn’t set out to change an industry. It just turned out that way. We simply wanted to make better scrubs.
Scrubs that are super functional, but also fashion forward. Flattering to wear. And ultra comfortable, even when you’re working those extra long shifts.
If you have to wear scrubs to work, shouldn’t they make you look and feel amazing?
We think so. That’s why we’re constantly tweaking, testing, redesigning and re-engineering our scrubs, to make them even better. And adding the little touches and special details that make ours scrubs so unique.
We’re all about designing happiness. One stitch at a time.
the koi team
koi scrubs are designed with love in Santa Monica
Our journey so far ...
- Kathy Peterson launches koi. The end is near for generic, il-fitting scrubs.
- Kathy designs the Lindsey pant. Nurses everywhere rejoice
- We move in our first office space in Santa Monica
- Our first scrubs arrive in store
- The good: people love our scrubs
The bad: people get mad because we can't make them fast enough.
- Our first Warehouse sale (This annual event is a must for every koi fanatic)
Our first collaboration with tokidoki. Scrubs just got a little more fun.
We launch our first men's collection.
Now men can enjoy fashionable scrubs, too.
We move to a bigger office/warehouse space in Santa Monica. Room to stretch.
- We team up with Marc Ecko to launch Ecko scrubs
- With the introduction of koi by Sanita clogs, koi style is now available for your feet!
- We sell our 5 millionth pair of Lindsey pants
- We introduce koi accessories to complete your koi wardrobe!
Our koi Stretch collection makes its debut.
We reach 100,000 likes on our Facebook page. Hurray!
- We introduce our modern, athletic koi Lite collection
- Our silky soft, easy care koi Tech collection makes its debut.
- We celebrate our 10th Anniversary. Time flies when you're having fun.
- We introduce our ultra stylish, ultra feminine Mariposa collection.
- We launch koi Basics, offering the world awesome scrubs at a great price.
Today, we’re proud to be one of the only independently owned, woman-run companies in the industry.
The koi online store on this website is a unique partnership between koi and our retailer partners. Order placed via the koi online store will typically be filled and shipped by independent retailers in our network.
Our authorized retailer network includes over 1,000 retail locations in the United States, Canada and worldwide
While we love having you shop on our site, we also urge you to visit and support the local authorized koi retailers in your area and experience our products in person.
Back when we first started koi, we wrote down a few guiding principles that defined who we are as a company. To this day, we try not to stray from this company philosophy, which we call our six keys to koi happiness.
It's the most important ingredient in life, love, and everything we create.
It's both a goal of ours and what sets our designs apart.
We believe the strength of our company comes from our people. We invest in our team and hire the best in the industry.
We are committed to diversity, equality, and social and economic justice.
It is our ongoing commitment to you to create the best products and services available.
We believe in giving back to the community and making a difference whenever possible.